Does your family love cookies as their go-to dessert? Try these fresh and flavorful strawberry shortcake cookies.
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 3/4 cup strawberries chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tbsp
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and grease with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir strawberries, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar until combined. Let sit 10 minutes, then drain.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter, remaining ½ cup sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, then stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, very gently fold in strawberries. Set aside.
- Line a large plate or baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and lemon zest until smooth. Scoop into 12 small balls (about 1 ½ teaspoons each) and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop heaping tablespoons of dough (about 24 balls) and flatten into pancake-like circles on the baking sheet. Place cream cheese filling on top of 12 pieces of dough. Place remaining dough on top of filling and pinch edges together. Roll gently into balls.
- Arrange stuffed cookie dough balls 2" apart on baking sheets and bake until cookies are set and just golden around edges, about 18 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!