Mooncake is the indispensable Chinese dessert served during the mid-autumn festival… for this reason, the Mid-autumn Festival is also called the Mooncake Festival. It takes place on the 5th day of the 8th month of the Chinese Lunar calendar. Make traditional Chinese mooncakes with lotus paste and salted egg yolk at home with this simple recipe.
- Mooncake mold
- 60 g golden syrup
- 1/4 tsp lye water (kansui)
- 24 g vegetable oil
- 100 g cake flour
- 10 salted egg yolks
- 220 g lotus paste
- egg wash to brush the mooncakes
MAKING THE DOUGH
- Mix golden syrup, lye water, and vegetable oil accurately in a mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour. Add all at once to the above mixture.
- Combine all the ingredients.
- Place the dough on a piece of cling wrap. Refrigerate for thirty minutes to let the dough relax.
MAKING THE FILLING
- Wash the salted egg yolk with water to remove the white sticking to the yolk. Pat dry.
- Wrap the yolk with the lotus paste.
- Roll it into a ball. Set aside.
FILLING THE DOUGH
- Roll out the pastry in between two plastic sheets or cling wraps.
- Remove the cling film on top, fold the pastry toward the filling.
- Pinch away the excess pastry where the pastry is double folded to ensure consistent thickness.
- Roll the mooncake with your palms to form a ball.
SHAPING & BAKING
- Roll the mooncake on a surface dusted with flour.
- Plunge the piston of the mold to the flour, and shake off the excess.
- Place the dough on the baking tray.
- Put the mooncake mold on the dough and plunge the piston downward. The dough will take the shape of the mold, and the pattern will be imprinted on the surface.
- Bake it at the middle rack, 175°C/350°F top and bottom temperature for five minutes or until the surface starts to firm up.
- Remove the mooncake from the oven and brush the surface of the mooncake with egg wash.
- Bake for another ten minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the cake from the oven to cool at room temperature.
- Transfer the mooncake to an airtight container and keep for three days before serve.