This old fashioned recipe is still around for a reason. Simple to make and surprisingly delicious.
Old Fashioned Potato Candy
- 1 small potato
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Place potato in a small pot, cover with water, and boil until very tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash (or use a hand mixer) until smooth and lump-free.
- Add4 cups powdered sugar and mix until blended (will be a sticky mess and this point). If opting to use vanilla, mix in now. Mix in more powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until mixture is very thick (slightly thicker than cookie dough).
- Laydown a large sheet of wax paper and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar. Transfer candy mixture to the wax paper and sprinkle the top with more powdered sugar. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Spread peanut butter evenly over candy. Roll tightly (long side toward long side),then wrap in the wax paper. Cut in half crosswise and put the two halves inside a large re-sealable bag. Seal the bag and chill for at least 30 minutes until firm, or until about 30 minutes before ready to serve.
- Unwrap candy and slice into 1-inch thick slices and serve or store in airtight container, chilled, up to 2 weeks.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!