Decadent, savory, and cheesy! Truffle Mac and Cheese is a luxurious twist on the classic comfort food, elevating the familiar dish with the addition of truffle flavor. This indulgent recipe features a creamy and velvety cheese sauce, made from multiple types of cheese, that is simply incredible. What sets Truffle Mac and Cheese apart is the infusion of truffle, imparting a distinctive earthy and aromatic essence to the dish. The combination of rich, gooey cheese and the unique, savory notes of truffle creates a sophisticated and decadent macaroni and cheese experience, appealing to those with a taste for gourmet comfort food.
Truffle Mac and Cheese
- olive oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms stems removed and caps sliced 1/2-inch
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms stems removed and caps sliced 1/2-inch
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp cream sherry
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound pasta
- 3 oz white truffle butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk scalded
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese grated (about 4 cups)
- 8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese grated (about 2-1/2 to 3 cups)
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1-1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12-inch) saute pan, add the mushrooms, and cook over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are tender. Add the sherry and continue to saute for a few more minutes, until the sherry is absorbed. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Add the pasta and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, melt the truffle butter in a large (4-quart) saucepan and whisk in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly whisk in the hot milk and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the white sauce is thickened and creamy. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 1/2 tablespoons salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Combine the pasta, sauce, and mushrooms in a large bowl and pour them into a 10 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish.
- Place the garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until they're minced. Add the bread crumbs and pulse to combine. Sprinkle the crumbs over the pasta and bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the crumbs are golden brown. Serve hot.