Tender chicken, delicious explosive flavor, and easy to make – a winning combo! Though only 5 ingredients, poaching the chicken and swirling in the pesto really amps up the flavor of this soup without adding a ton of other spices.
Chicken with Pesto Soup
- 2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tightly packed spinach
- 1/2 cup pesto
- Kosher salt to taste
- Put the chicken in a large pot and cover with the broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken from the pot to a cutting board. Skim the surface of the broth with a slotted spoon to remove any skin that's floated to the surface. Remove the meat from the chicken bones and shred with two forks; discard the skin. Add the meat back to the pot along with the spinach.
- Turn the heat to medium until the spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Swirl the pesto into the soup and season with salt.