Green Bean Casserole is a classic American side dish that graces holiday tables and family gatherings with its comforting simplicity. Blanched green beans provide a crisp texture, while the creamy, mushroom-infused sauce adds a savory depth. The dish is often topped with crispy fried onions, imparting a delightful crunch and savory flavor. Baked to perfection, Green Bean Casserole is a timeless and beloved favorite, offering a harmonious blend of wholesome green beans and indulgent, creamy goodness, making it a staple on festive occasions and a symbol of heartwarming comfort.
This casserole is packed with fresh green beans tossed in a delicious creamy mushroom sauce, and topped with crispy fried onions. It’s cozy, creamy, and incredibly comforting.
Green Bean Casserole
- 1-1/2 pounds green beans ends trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 cups brown mushrooms sliced (about 1/2lb.)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1-1/2 cups French fried onions homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add green beans and blanch until slightly softened yet still bright green, about 5 minutes. Rinse green beans under running cold water to cool off and drain in a colander. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add onion and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes until nicely browned on all sides.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in flour until evenly combined and cook for another minute.
- Add heavy cream, Italian seasoning, cayenne (if using), and Parmesan cheese. Stir well and bring the sauce to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and keep stirring until thickened to the desired consistency, about 5-7 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Place green beans in a 9×13-inch casserole pan and pour cream sauce evenly on top. Bake at 350 F until golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle fried onions on top and bake for another 5 minutes until crispy. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and serve warm.