A delicious sweet and savory twist on traditional pancakes. These “mancakes” are filled with bacon, cheese, and onions… topped with an incredible chipotle spiced maple syrup.
- 8 oz bacon chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup warm maple syrup or to taste
- 1/8 tsp chipotle chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp butter
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes; remove from heat. Stir green onions into bacon and sauté in hot fat until slightly softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer bacon mixture to a strainer to drain, retaining drippings.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a large bowl. Add drained bacon mixture, milk, Cheddar cheese, eggs, melted butter, and sugar to flour mixture; whisk until batter is smooth. Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine maple syrup and chipotle chili powder together in a small bowl; whisk until chili powder is completely dissolved.
- Heat1 teaspoon bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon oil, and 1 teaspoon butter on a griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter by 1/4-cupful onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form and the edges are dry, 3to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on the other side, 2 to 3minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Transfer pancakes to plate and top with maple syrup.