Mashed Potatoes, a timeless and beloved side dish, transforms humble spuds into a creamy and comforting delight. Potatoes are boiled until tender, then mashed and whipped to velvety perfection. Butter and milk are often added to achieve a lush and smooth consistency, creating a canvas for endless variations. Seasoned with salt and pepper, these mashed potatoes become a versatile accompaniment to a wide array of dishes. Whether served as a cozy side or the comforting base for savory gravies, Mashed Potatoes are a culinary classic that embodies the essence of homey indulgence and culinary simplicity.
Creamy, buttery, and delicious! This is the best, creamiest velvety and smooth mashed potato recipe ever.
- Large pot
- Potato masher
- Hand mixer
- 3 pounds yukon gold or russet potatoes (approximately 4-5large potatoes) peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- fresh parsley finely chopped (optional, for garnish)
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water to cover potatoes by about an inch. Heat over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft when you insert a fork.
- Drain potatoes and place back in the pot. Use a potato masher (or a fork) to mash the potatoes.
- Add in the butter and cream cheese and use an electric hand mixer to mix until melted and incorporated into the potatoes.
- Slowly add in the cream and continue to whisk with the electric mixer. Add salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish, garnish with parsley, extra butter and serve warm.