These overly-generous stuffed artichokes make for a delectable dinner party appetizer, and are hearty enough on their own for a light lunch with a small group. The intensely savory stuffing makes for a lovely contrast with the herbaceous leaves, and the whole thing is delicious down to the last bite – scrape the dipping bowl clean with the tender heart for a perfect ending to a Spring lunch.
Prosciutto Stuffed Artichokes
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 white onion
- 1/3 cup chopped olives
- 2 lemons
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tin Gustus Taste of Tuscany Seasoning
- 5 tbsp Gustus garlic basil sea salt
- 3 tbsp Gustus crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 12 oz prosciutto
- small handful of fresh basil for garnish
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- Pre heat oven to 400F degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil, and top with 2 steamer boxes.
- Remove the largest outside leaves from artichokes, trim very end off stem, and slice in half lengthwise.
- Remove hairy choke centers, and squeeze the juice of one lemon over the artichokes
- Place in the steamer, and steam for 30 minutes.
- Wash and dice bell peppers, peel and dice onion, and dice prosciutto.
- Rough chop olives.
- Bring a large cast iron pan up to high heat, and add 1 Tbs of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add prosciutto, and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add onions, bell peppers and olives, cooking for a further 5 minutes and stirring constantly.
- Drizzle a small amount of olive oil into a medium sized square ceramic baking dish.
- Arrange artichoke halves in baker, and overfill each with prosciutto mix, topping with remaining1/2 cup of Parmesan.
- Pop in the oven and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until well browned.
- While the artichokes are baking, make the sauce by combining crème fraiche, the juice of 1 lemon, and 1 Tbs. each garlic basil sea salt and olive oil. Cover and reserve in the fridge.
- Remove artichokes from oven and arrange on a serving plate with dipping sauce in the center.
- Serve with small forks and devour.
CREDIT: Gustus Vitae
Want to make this recipe? Pick up the items featured in it:
|Gustus Vitae : East Meets West Seasoning Collection|
|Gustus Vitae : Pantry Starter Kit | Essential Spices, Seasonings, Salts|