Meatloaf is such a versatile dish and is always very tasty. This recipe features a true Southern staple – Pimento Cheese. Serve it with a hearty helping of mashed red potatoes and a crusty bread. Southern-Style Meatloaf is a comforting and hearty dish that embodies the soulful flavors of the American South. Served in thick slices, Southern-Style Meatloaf is a beloved homestyle classic, delivering a satisfying combination of textures and flavors that evoke the warmth and hospitality of Southern kitchens.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1/3 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots shredded
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup saltine crackers crushed
- 1/3 cup Ritz crackers crushed
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 12 oz refrigerated pimiento cheese
- Optional: Shredded sharp cheddar cheese and sliced jalapeno pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Add carrots and garlic; cook and stir until tender, 1-2 minutes longer. Transfer vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Add eggs, crackers and seasonings. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Shape into an 8×4-in. loaf in a greased 11×7-in. baking dish. Bake, covered, for 45minutes. Uncover and bake until a thermometer reads 160°F, 15-20 minutes longer.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into slices; spread with pimiento cheese. Serve with potatoes and, if desired, shredded cheese and jalapeno.