This “super” soup is warm, comforting, and healthy! Can be easily altered for to make it a vegan or vegetarian dish. It is even better when you add your favorite veggies or meats. Perfect for a chilly autumn or winter evening. Serve with a crusty bread.
Sunchoke “Super” Soup
- Soup pot ( at least 8 quart)
- fine mesh strainer
- 2 lbs sunchokes
- 1 spring Onions
- 3 spring Garlic (or 1 head of garlic)
- 1 handful of fresh Thyme
- 2 cups bone broth (grass-fed chicken or beef)
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 can coconut milk or cream
- Slice, chop, cut up all vegetables and set aside (sun choke skins are okay). Have all your items ready, measured out, and make sure all of your tools are ready.
- Turn on heat medium high and add in the oil, add onions and sweat.
- Add garlic and thyme, and then cook until fragrant.
- Add sunchokes.
- Add wine and reduce until it is almost gone (keep your eye on it, do not burn it!).
- Add bone broth and vegetable stock, bring to boil, and then reduce to simmer.
- Cook, allow to simmer on medium/low for about 1 hr and 1/2 (or until the sun chokes are delicate and can break apart with fork).
- Add coconut cream and blend. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, blend with butter.
- Garnished in the picture with sumac, herb oil, and curried cashews.
- You can use this as a sauce, just don’t add the butter. Cook it down more until its thicker, then add the butter. Great for meats fish, chicken, beef. Can use for vegetables great with peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc..
- If you are vegan – both the butter and bone both are optional. However, they both make the soup “super”.
- This soup will last about 2 weeks in the fridge. You can freeze it or can it and it will last for months.
CREDIT: Chef Thomas Drury