Sweet Potato Casserole is a delectable and indulgent dish that graces holiday tables with its delightful combination of sweetness and warmth. Mashed sweet potatoes serve as the base, enriched with butter, brown sugar, and warm spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg. The mixture is often topped with a layer of pecan or marshmallow topping, adding a sweet and crunchy contrast. Baked to golden perfection, the result is a comforting and flavorful casserole that captures the essence of autumn and festive celebrations. Sweet Potato Casserole is a beloved classic, offering a harmonious blend of rich, creamy, and sweet notes in every spoonful.
A Thanksgiving staple and a perfect fall side dish. This casserole is packed with soft, tender sweet potatoes and topped with buttery crunchy pecans (instead of the more traditional marshmallow topping).
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 9-inch casserole dish
- Hand mixer
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups pecans finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Poke a fork into the sweet potatoes to make a few vents, and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour until they are completely soft inside, and fork tender. If you can insert a fork easily into the flesh, then it is fork tender.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Add heavy cream, butter, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and salt. Mix all the ingredients well with a hand mixer for 1-2minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9-inch square baking dish. Gently tap the baking dish on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles and spread the mixture evenly.
- In another large bowl, combine pecans, softened butter, flour and sugar. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes with a spoon.
- Bake the casserole at 350°F for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top. Set it aside to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.