This layered trifle is stunning to look at and just as tasty as you image! Banana Pudding is a classic Southern dessert that captivates taste buds with its layers of simple yet irresistible goodness. Smooth vanilla pudding forms the velvety base, interspersed with slices of ripe bananas that add a natural sweetness and a comforting, familiar flavor. The layers are then nestled between sheets of vanilla wafers, which soften to create a delightful textural contrast. Topped with a billowy layer of whipped cream or meringue, Banana Pudding is a luscious combination of creamy, fruity, and crunchy elements. This beloved dessert embodies a nostalgic charm, invoking memories of family gatherings and potluck dinners, making it a timeless treat that never fails to satisfy the sweet tooth and warm the heart.
- 1-1/3 cups whole milk
- 5 oz instant vanilla pudding mix
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz vanilla wafer cookies
- 4 bananas sliced into coins
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- Ina large mixing bowl, combine milk, vanilla pudding mix and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk thoroughly, breaking up any lumps, and refrigerate for at least 5minutes, or until set.
- In another large bowl, combine heavy cream and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form,2 to 3 minutes. Set aside half of the mixture for topping the dish. Fold remaining half into the pudding mixture.
- Cover the bottom of a 3-quart trifle dish with vanilla wafers. Top with one-third of the pudding mixture. Cover with another layer of the wafer cookies—you may want to also stand some cookies up vertically, so you see the full circle along the edge of the trifle dish. Top with an even layer of banana slices. Continue layering the pudding, wafer cookies and banana slices until you reach the top, ending with a final layer of banana pudding.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or up to overnight.
- Sweeten the remaining whipped cream: Add sugar to whipped cream, stirring to combine. Just before serving, dollop on top of the banana pudding, then sprinkle crumbled wafer cookies on top.