A perfect savory puffed side for any meal.
Black Pepper Gougere
- 1 cup Water
- 7 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
- 4 Large Eggs
- 6 oz Fiscalini Farm House Cheddar Grated
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water, butter, and salt, bring to a boil. Add flour, reduce heat to medium, stir with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball and the excess moisture has evaporated.
- Transfer to bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle and beat for about 30 seconds at medium speed to cool slightly. Add eggs and continue to mix until completely combined and the batter has a smooth, silky texture.
- Check the consistency of the batter. It should form a peak with a tip that falls over. If it is too stiff, beat in the white of an additional egg. Check again and, if necessary, add the yolk. Finally, mix in 3/4 cup of the Cheese and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Scoop gougère batter onto baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between the gougères.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until they puff and hold their shape. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. When the gougères are done, they should be a light golden brown color.
- Remove the pans from the oven and serve the gougères while hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!