This sweet yeasted spiced bread is peppered with flavorsome dried fruits. It is a delight that hails from Cornwall, England. Try a slice with rich Cornish butter or clotted cream. Yummy.
Cornish Saffron Cake
- 900 g flour
- 450 g butter
- 110 g sugar
- 450 g mixed dried fruit
- 50 g candied peels
- 25 g yeast
- 1/2 g saffron threads
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp warmmilk
- Cut up the saffron threads, cover with a little boiling water and soak overnight.
- Rub the butter into the flour, add the salt, sugar, finely chopped peel and mixed dried fruit.
- Mix the yeast with a teaspoonful of sugar in a basin and mix in a little warm milk.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and when the yeast begins to rise, pour into the well. Cover with a sprinkling of flour and after about 10 minutes the yeast will push through. Then with your hands, mix all the ingredients together into a dough, adding milk as needed, as well as the saffron water.
- Leave to rise in a warm place for a short while.
- Bake in a cake tin for approximately one hour at 180ºC.
- Let cool completely, then slice and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!