Soft, delicious, and an irresistible holiday favorite! These are also good for a variety of occasions as they can be made in just about any shape using cookie cutters. They are also delicious both frosted or unfrosted.
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup margarine softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tbsp white sugar to roll cookies in before baking
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- Ina large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into golf ball sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
NOTES: Looking to frost these cookies? A hardening cookie icing is what you need! Click HERE for a recipe.