Fun and visually striking, these heart-shaped pink raviolis are filled with pureed beets, goat cheese, and ricotta. Tasty, fun, and pretty!
Heart “Beet” Ravioli
- Stand mixer
- Pasta machine / pasta roller
- Rolling Pin
- Ravioli cutter
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup semolina
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup beet puree
- Egg wash for assembling
- 4 oz goat cheese room temperature
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Ina medium bowl, stir together the softened goat cheese, ricotta, rosemary, thyme, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1hour (or overnight).
- Use a standing mixer with the dough hook attachment.
- Whisk together the flour, semolina, and salt in the mixer bowl.
- Ina separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, eggs, egg yolk, and beet puree and add to the mixer bowl.
- Mix until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 3-5minutes.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic, and let rest in the refrigerator for 1hour.
Pasta machine / roller
- Divide the dough into half again to create 4 equal parts. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rough rectangle. Transfer through the pasta machine, beginning at the widest setting and ending at the thinnest. Keep the pasta you are not using covered to avoid it drying out.
Assemble the ravioli
- Lay one sheet of pasta dough on a lightly floured surface and brush with egg wash.
- Drop a heaping tablespoon of the filling across one sheet of dough, 2 inches apart. Lay another sheet of pasta dough on top, and gently press around each mound of filling to let out any air pockets.
- Using a ravioli cutter, cut out the ravioli shapes and press to ensure the edges are sealed. Sprinkle the formed ravioli with a dusting of semolina flour to prevent sticking.
- Cook the ravioli in salted, boiling water until al dente, about 8-12 minutes. The ravioli will float to the top when ready.
- Serve the ravioli with olive oil or nutty brown butter and fresh herbs or your favorite sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!