Cheesy potatoes are always a welcome addition to a meal. Au Gratin style are so creamy and wonderful and also incredibly easy to make.
Potatoes Au Gratin
- 6 russet potatoes cleaned and peeled
- 2 tbsp butter plus more for pan
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Kosher salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- 1-1/2 cups Gruyere shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F and butter a large baking dish. Slice potatoes 1/4" thick and place in water to keep from browning.
- Ina large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cream, milk, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Layer a third of potatoes, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish then pour a third of cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cream to make two more layers. Sprinkle Gruyere over top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with Parmesan and continue baking until potatoes are tender and top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!