Super delicious slightly sweet soda bread dotted with raisins and caraway.
Sweet Irish Soda Bread
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/2 cups raisins
- 3 tbsp caraway seeds
- turbinado sugar (for sprinkling)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter two 9×5-inch bread pans. Soak the raisins in hot water for 15-20 minutes, then drain well.
- Stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Cut the butter into cubes and mix very thoroughly with the flour, by hand, until it looks grainy. Stir in the drained raisins and caraway seeds.
- Add the buttermilk and egg to the flour mixture. Stir well. The dough should resemble thick cake batter. Equally fill 2 loaf pans. Then sprinkle the top of each with turbinado sugar to make it shimmery.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool in the pans for 3to 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!