Three Cheese Mac and Cheese is the epitome of comfort food, a creamy and indulgent delight that elevates the classic pasta dish to new heights. Elbow macaroni is enveloped in a luscious cheese sauce made from a trifecta of cheeses. The cheeses melt together to create a velvety and gooey texture, coating every pasta twist in rich, savory goodness. Baked to perfection, the dish develops a golden, crispy crust on top, adding a delightful crunch to the creamy interior. Three Cheese Mac and Cheese is a heartwarming and nostalgic favorite, offering a symphony of cheesy flavors and a satisfying blend of textures in every spoonful.
The most delicious and ultra cheesy mac and cheese… plus it is easy to make too! Sure to become a regular dish in your house.
Three Cheese Mac and Cheese
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup All purpose flour or Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 cups Fiscalini Old World Aged Cheddar Cheese grated
- 2 cups Fiscalini San Joaquin Gold Cheese grated
- 2 cups Fiscalini Lionza cheese grated
- 1/4 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 lb elbow macaroni cooked al dente
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat or spray inside of a 3 quart casserole baking dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Melt ¼ stick butter in large saucepan. Add breadcrumbs and stir until thoroughly coated. Transfer breadcrumbs to bowl.
- Wipe out saucepan with a paper towel, being careful not to burn fingers. Place back on low heat and melt remaining butter until it begins to bubble.
- Whisk in flour, stirring for about three minutes. In another saucepan, scald milk and cream; slowly pour into flour mixture, whisking until well blended. Continue whisking until sauce is smooth and begins to thicken (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Mix three cheeses together with cayenne, salt and black pepper. Add about ¾ of cheese mixture to sauce, stirring until cheese is melted. Add cooled macaroni to sauce. (Taste to check if seasoning is correct). Pour into prepared casserole: top with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake 30 minutes or until bubbling. (If top doesn’t turn golden brown, place under broiler and watch carefully to finish the crust) Let casserole sit about 10 minutes, before serving.