Delicious, fresh, turkey gravy made with the drippings, neck, and giblets (optional) from your turkey. This gravy is rich and savory and is sure to be a hit!
- All of your drippings from your turkey
- 1 turkey neck
- 1 pkg giblets from the turkey (optional)
- 1-1/2 qt chicken broth
- 1 stick butter (each stick = 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- A couple of jars of turkey gravy, or packets of turkey gravy mix
- Place the chicken broth, turkey neck, and any giblets you want into a very large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Simmer covered for at least 1 hour, until neck and giblets are cooked very soft. When done, remove and allow neck and giblets to cool until you can handle them. Strain the broth into a container and set aside. Remove meat from bones, and chop giblets, and return all meat to the broth.
- In the same saucepan, heat the turkey drippings and butter until melted. Stir in the flour, and some salt and pepper if desired. Stir until smooth over medium heat. Gradually add in the broth and meat pieces, stirring constantly, until gravy is smooth and there are no lumps. Cook to a boil.
- Look at the gravy, and think, "That's not going to be enough." Add a jar or two of turkey gravy, "just in case." Or, add a packet or two of gravy mix shaken in water, and bring to a boil again. Simmer until time to serve.
- Serve over sliced turkey, mashed potatoes, or stuffing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!