The Thanksgiving turkey truly has the power to make or break your holiday meal. Luckily, it’s not that hard to cook a perfectly moist and flavorful bird.
The Thanksgiving turkey truly has the power to make or break your holiday meal. Luckily, it's not that hard to cook a perfectly moist and flavorful bird. This recipe is perfect for Thanksgiving or any time of the year!
- 1 Roasting pan
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp dried sage
- 2 tbsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 tbsp salt
- 15 pound whole turkey neck and giblets removed
- 1 medium orange cut into 8 wedges
- 1 medium onion chopped into large pieces
- 1 medium carrot cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 750 milliliter champagne
- 14.5 ounces chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a roaster with sheets of aluminum foil long enough to wrap around turkey.
- Stir together parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme,lemon-pepper seasoning, and salt in a small bowl.
- Rub herb mixture into the turkey cavity, then stuff with orange wedges, onion, carrot and celery. Tie the legs together with kitchen string, then tuck the wings under the body. Place turkey on the foil in the roasting pan.
- Pour champagne and chicken broth over turkey, making sure to get some liquid in the cavity. Bring aluminum foil up and ove rthe top of turkey and seal; try to keep the foil from touching the turkey.
- Roast turkey in the preheated oven until juices run clear, 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Uncoverturkey and continue baking until the skin turns golden brown, 30 to 60 more minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh, near the bone, should read 180°F (82°C).
- Remove turkey from the oven, cover with two sheets of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area before slicing, 10 to15 minutes.
You can use white wine in place of champagne. How long does it take to thaw a turkey?: The safest way to thaw a turkey is in the refrigerator. Allow approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds of meat. For example, if you have a 15-pound frozen turkey, it will take about three days to thaw completely in the fridge. How long do you cook a turkey?: We recommend cooking an unstuffed turkey for about 13-15 minutes per pound. For example, a 15-pound turkey should be fully cooked within about 3.5 hours — but you should always check the internal temperature before serving to prevent food poisoning. At what temperature is the turkey done?: An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read at least 180°F.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!