A crispy and amazing take on parmigiana utilizing fresh zucchini and Frescobene’s delicious authentic Italian marinara sauce. This is a perfect dish to make ahead and freeze, especially for those extra busy nights!
Zucchini Parmigiana with Frescobene Marinara Sauce
- 2 large zucchini washed and cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 5 large eggs
- 4 cups Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil For frying, as needed
- 1.5 lbs mozzarella cheese Cut into thin slices
- 1 handful fresh basil Leaves only, torn
- 20 oz Frescobene Marinara Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Thaw or microwave Marinara Sauce (as directed on the package).
- In a bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Dip each zucchini slice in the egg mixture, and then in the breadcrumbs. Make sure to coat both sides of each slice of zucchini.
- Arrange them in single layers on a baking sheet(s).
- In a large skillet, pour enough oil to accumulate about 1/2-inch in the bottom. Heat the oil.
- Once hot, add a single layer of zucchini to the pan. Cook them until they are golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the oil and transfer to a baking sheet lined with a paper towel so the zucchini can drain as the others cook.
- Season lightly with salt.
- In a 9 by 13-inch baking dish, spoon about 1/4 of the Marinara sauce on the bottom.
- Top with a layer of the fried zucchini (the zucchini slices can overlap slightly).
- Spoon sauce over zucchini.
- Top with about 1/3 of the mozzarella slices.
- Repeat the layering 2 more times to make 3 layers.
- Finish with remaining mozzarella.
- Place the dish in the top part of the oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Once out of oven top with basil.
CREDIT: Frescobene Foods
Want to make this recipe? Pick up the item featured in it: