Indulge in a tropical escape with our Coconut Shrimp – a crispy and succulent delight that transports your taste buds to paradise. Each shrimp is perfectly coated in a golden blanket of shredded coconut, delivering a satisfying crunch with every bite. Paired with our luscious Pineapple Dipping Sauce, this recipe is a symphony of sweet and savory flavors that will make your palate dance. Get ready to savor the essence of the tropics right in your own kitchen!
Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened coconut
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, butterflied
- 2 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1 cup canned pineapple
- 3 scallions, white part only, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup apricot preserves
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 2 Tb. lime juice
- ½ jalapeno, choppedsalt
- Combine the flour, salt and cayenne on a flat baking sheet. Place the egg whites and coconut on two separate baking sheets. Dredge the shrimp in the flour mixture, then the whites, then in the coconut. Press the coconut onto the shrimp. Chill for at least an hour.
- Heat the oven to 200. In a medium saucepan heat the oil until moderately hot but not smoking. Working in batches fry the shrimp until golden about 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.
- In a processor combine the pineapple, scallions, apricot preserves, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeno and salt to taste. Process until blended and taste, adjust seasoning.
- Serve the shrimp on a platter with the sauce in the middle in a serving dish.
- Shrimp that are a 20-24 count size are recommended. You can use large or smaller, but make sure to adjust cooking time accordingly.
- If you use smaller shrimp, you may run out of the coconut/breadcrumb mixture. If this happens, simply add additional coconut and breadcrumbs in a 3:2 ratio with a pinch of salt and continue breading your shrimp.
- If oil looks brown after cooking a batch or two, drain coconut oil and add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil.