Mussels in Saffron is a delectable seafood dish that marries the briny goodness of mussels with the aromatic richness of saffron-infused broth. Fresh mussels are bathed in a flavorful broth, crafted with saffron threads, white wine, garlic, and herbs. The saffron imparts a vibrant color and a distinctive floral essence, enhancing the seafood’s natural flavors. As the mussels steam in the fragrant concoction, they absorb the savory broth, creating a harmonious blend of textures and tastes. Served with crusty bread for soaking up the flavorful liquid, Mussels in Saffron is a luxurious and visually stunning dish that celebrates the marriage of land and sea in every delightful spoonful.
Mussels in Saffron
- 2 tsp saffron threads
- 25 ml hot water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 300 g shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 500 ml dry white wine
- 4 kg black mussels scrubbed and bearded
- 310 ml single or thin cream
- 15 g coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Soak the saffron in hot water in a small bowl. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft,stirring all the time.
- Add wine and bring to the boil. Increase heat to high. Add the mussels and cook covered for 5 minutes or until mussels open, stirring occasionally. Transfer the mussels to a heatproof bowl as they open to prevent overcooking. Set aside and discard any unopened mussels.
- Bring the liquid to the boil and cook for 15 minutes or until reduced to 685ml. Strain into a large saucepan. Return half of the strained shallots to the saucepan and discard the rest. Add saffron and cream, bring to the boil and stir in the mussels to heat them through.
- Divide mussels among shallow serving bowls. Pour over sauce and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.