This is a perfect way to showcase Fjord Trout! This recipe features a sharp flavorsome sauce vierge mixed with fresh grapes and partnered with sweet but delightfully bitter caramelized chicory.
Mi-Cuit Norwegian Fjord Trout with Fresh Grape Sauce Vierge, Caramelized Chicory Leaves & Fresh Dill
- 4 Norwegian fjord pave trout skin off
- olive oil to taste
- sea salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large chicory lettuce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp honey
Sauce vierge (makes 150 ml)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1/2 tomato de-seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup white seedless grapes skinned and halved
- 1 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- Juice of half a lemon
- Micro tarragon or fresh tarragon to taste
- Pour the olive oil into a small saucepan and briefly warm over a low heat for about 30 seconds.
- Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the tomato and grapes, gently so not to damage.
- Add the vinegar and lemon juice and just before serving, stir through tarragon to taste.
- Heat a pan of water to about 60oC. Meanwhile, wrap the fish in cling film and tie up both ends.
- Poach for 6-7 minutes at a constant heat, then remove from the pan.
- Caramelize the chicory leaves in butter and honey and keep warm.
- Carefully cut open one side of the cling film to release the Fjord Trout onto kitchen towel. Pat dry then pan fry using a non-stick pan for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, keeping the flesh nice and pink in the middle
- To serve, simply position the Fjord Trout in the middle of the dish, top with caramelized chicory and drizzle over plenty of the grape sauce vierge.
Chef’s TipThere are a few things here to remember:
- First keep water temperature constant, this is crucial when cooking fish.
- Next, don’t overheat the sauce vierge – it should just be warm so you do not overcook the ingredients and instead retain the flavours.
- Finally, the chicory should be golden brown, any darker and it will taste too bitter.
CREDIT: Rhineland Cutlery
Want to make this recipe? Here are some great accessories to help make your meal amazing: