This is a lovely fresh recipe, balanced with chicory and blood orange. Bring theatre to your tables by serving the salt-baked fish straight from the oven and allowing diners to crack open the salt for themselves!
Sea-Salt Baked Norwegian Fjord Trout, Chicory, & Blood Orange Salad
- Parchment / greaseproof paper
- 4 Fjord Trout fillets skin on
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 lime juice and zest
- 1/2 blood orange juice and zest
- rock sea salt
- 2 heads yellow chicory
- 2 heads of red chicory
- 2 blood oranges
- dill to taste
- olive oil to taste
- balsamic glaze to taste
- Whisk egg whites to soft peaks and combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Line an ovenproof tray with greaseproof paper and spoon ¼ of the salt mixture over the bottom. Place the Fjord Trout fillets on top of this mixture and then cover with the rest of the salt mixture.
- Bake in the oven at 190oC for 6-8 minutes.
- Cut the base off the chicory and remove outer leaves, slice in half lengthways and remove core. Keep the two types separate.
- Take one of the blood oranges and segment.
- Make up a simple dressing using blood orange juice and zest, chopped dill, olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Mix the chicory leaves with segments from one orange and toss in the dressing.
- Be aware of timing when baking an individual portion as the heat will remain strong for a while, so remove from oven a touch earlier than you think you should.
- Present to diners before breaking the hardened salt crust so they can enjoy the theatre and aromatic scents released upon opening.
CREDIT: Rhineland Cutlery
Want to make this recipe? Here are some great accessories to help make your meal amazing: