Beef barbacoa that’s juicy, meltingly tender, seasoned with flavorful chilies and spices, and made the easy way – right in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- Slow cooker
- 4 lbs beef chuck roast cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 onion diced
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Add all of the ingredients, except the bay leaves, to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Use tongs to gently toss and mix it all together. Then add the bay leaves, and cover. Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. The beef should be tender and fall apart easily when shredded with a fork. If it doesn't shred easily, cook it a bit longer.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it.
- Place the shredded beef back in the slow cooker, give it a stir, and let it absorb the juices.
- Serve the barbacoa straight from the slow cooker, or add it to a plate and garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!