Beef Barbacoa is a savory and flavorful Mexican dish renowned for its tender and juicy shredded beef, slow-cooked to perfection. Typically prepared with cuts like beef chuck or brisket, the meat is marinated in a blend of spices, herbs, and often chipotle peppers, contributing to its rich and smoky flavor profile.
Traditionally, Beef Barbacoa is slow-cooked until the meat becomes incredibly tender, allowing the flavors to meld and intensify. The result is succulent, shredded beef that is often used as a filling for tacos, burritos, or served with rice and beans. The dish may also feature ingredients like garlic, cumin, oregano, and lime juice, creating a harmonious blend of savory and aromatic elements.
Beef Barbacoa is a celebration of slow-cooking techniques and bold Mexican flavors. Its versatility and bold taste make it a favorite among those who appreciate the depth and complexity of traditional Mexican cuisine.
This beef barbacoa is juicy, meltingly tender, seasoned with flavorful chilies and spices, and made the easy way – right in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- Slow cooker
- 4 lbs beef chuck roast cut into 3-inch chunks
- 1 onion diced
- 4 chipotles in adobo sauce finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- Add all of the ingredients, except the bay leaves, to the bowl of a slow cooker.
- Use tongs to gently toss and mix it all together. Then add the bay leaves, and cover. Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours. The beef should be tender and fall apart easily when shredded with a fork. If it doesn't shred easily, cook it a bit longer.
- Remove the beef to a cutting board and use two forks to shred it.
- Place the shredded beef back in the slow cooker, give it a stir, and let it absorb the juices.
- Serve the barbacoa straight from the slow cooker, or add it to a plate and garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.